Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My phone nearly electricuted me


It began with the receipt of a text message from Sparkling. Her MSN wasn't letting her message me for some reason, like it had suddenly taken a temperamental turn without any warning. The kind of thing females do, now and again. Anyway I thought well in the circumstances what I'll do is ring Sparkling up and then we can pass the time in a nice friendly chit chat. Although I didn't get put through to Sparkling straight away. Rock Chick answered the phone, being her usual self she wanted to get me passed onto Sparkling quickly. The best way to do this is to shout out, because Rock had answered it from upstairs. At this point the vocal strength of Rock Chick pretty much hit me. She used the ubiquitous call all children do whenever they need the attention of their parent, this one went along the lines of "MMMMMMMUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!" I am not kidding. I nearly dropped the phone and clutched my head, I could hear the echo reverberate inside. It didn't stop and it didn't do my tinnitus much good either. A few moments later the phone was picked up and Sparkling answered, which was very nice.

Earlier in the day I had sent a texted message to Sparkling about the weather, being due a thunderstorm which didn't appear. As we chatted I noticed how the room appeared to be getting darker. A lot darker. I was almost in pitch black. Then it began to rain. We chatted quite jovially as the rain got louder and now decided to become torrential. It didn't matter because I was inside and as usual I'm always happy when chatting to Sparkling, on account of there being times when she has refused to chat to me, telling me I'm her stalker. On one occasion I had to ring 3 different phone numbers and then I didn't chat to her. Can you believe it? It happened to be a friend of Rock Chick just picked the phone up and she was on her way out. She was quite nice, but it wasn't what I was expecting, because at this point even Rock Chick had decided not to talk to me. Later I learnt both Rock Chick and Sparkling were sitting there laughing their heads off because they knew it was me ringing. Blimey. There are times when it's just not good enough. I digress. Back to the rain.

So it was dogs and cats outside, bucketing down. Then it came. Somewhere in the distance there was a flash. It had barely lit up the room but had come from outside. Now it was thundering. There was an audible quake which also created a vibration. I'm sure Sparkling could not hear it, I had to tell her there were now thunderbolts. In a very short space of time the lightening got closer and closer. It was when a bolt must of hit only a few gardens away I nearly dropped the phone and said "ohwa" in a kind of startled frightened voice. I said to Sparkling the lightening was close now and I advised her I didn't want to carry on the conversation. However, Sparkling would not have otherwise, she wanted me to chat even longer on the phone, while the house was being bombarded with lightening. Now I am not a scardy cat but this was getting pretty close, and I'd heard about people getting electrocuted through their telephone, even how if you have a modem connection, a non wireless one, the electricity can run up into the computer and blow it up. I mean real damage here. I kept telling Sparkling "this is getting close" I said. "I'm going to get electrocuted," but she still wouldn't take my word for it. So she had to check it out on the Internet while I waited for the one bold which had my name on it. With fingers crossed, needless to say I got lucky. I don't know how but I managed to put the phone down as Sparkling laughed how silly I was. But I wasn't. I know I wasn't. I'm not scared as I said earlier. I think when there's a storm like this it makes you feel alive. Unless you happen to be on a phone and the Gods above are playing darts at who-can-hit-the-fat-man. All I can say is Zeus must of been having a bad day and lucky for me he was.

I think next time I ring Sparkling, I'll just re check the weather report and maybe give her a ring when there's an electrical storm in her neighbourhood. Yes, see how quickly she answers the phone.

No comments: