Friday, January 07, 2011

Humour and bull shit

I don't know if it is a mistake writing a BLOG when I am slightly intoxicated.  But a little alcohol does help to drop down the guard and helps me to talk more bull shit than usual.  The only thing is trying to remember what happened during the day so I can report it to all two of my lucky readers.  I say two, particularly in desperation after all who wants to read about the life of a middle aged fat man.  Have I told you I like rum?  Probably.  Anyway I'll just sit here and slap my head trying to think.  Oh yes here it comes.  The little grey cells are beginning to work, just as Agatha Christies Poirot might say.

There I was sitting in the pub with a few drinking companions when I thought to check in on my phone to see if Sparkling had been in contact.  On account of her tonsils going on strike.  To my surprise, shock and delight she had sent me a text message.  In it was asked when I next intended to come up.  Awwwe.  However, she also stated she had a double shift at her Fish Factory.  It must of been the Guinness hitting my brain.  For a moment a pain of annoyance hit me, but then within a split second enlightenment, I chuckled as I began to compose my response. This was to the effect, "Darling I am due up on the 15th, don't worry I'll bring up my blow up doll".  This must of bought a wry smile to Sparkles as she responded with "Cheeky Bugger."  I know she would of laughed.  But seriously I could see myself cuddling up to a blow up dolly for the company.  At least if I gave it a squeeze it would fart in reply, whereas Sparkles can hardly say anything. 

I am finding how much humour is a great destressor of situations.  Especially when those situations are tense as they are at the moment in the Fish Factory. Maybe I am being seen as too much the clown, however saying this I take my fish sorting very seriously and just love it as a job.  I can hardly believe it has taken twenty years of hard work to get where I am.  Blimey, talk about slow starter.  I am now finding after reaching this level of the pyramid, there will be times when it feels I am constantly having to deal with fires.  Stamping them out, pissing on them here and there.  A waft of steam rises upwards as each has been dampened down.  I try and keep as calm as I can, even when I feel about to lose it and go crazy.  It seems many people are reluctant to sort out their own problems.  Being calm though at least doesn't allow a situation to escalate, because the reactions of one person in turn dictate the actions of another.  It's a Catch 22, vicious cycle of stimulus response schedules of reinforcement.  I now have to refine my technique on how not to answer questions, or answer questions with questions and humour.

In any situation I am put in, there is one thing I can choose, this is how I respond.  And although my first response may be one of frustration this is of no use to anyone, so I try and throw it out the window sit back and deliberate.  Yep, you got it, talk bull shit.

No comments: