Friday, January 30, 2009

2000 Words

I had a text message from Rock Chick asking I check over her essay. We had made a start on it the last time I saw her. She'd written the first paragraph after asking me for an example first paragraph. Her first paragraph was better, and I liked it. So I expected after the text message the entire essay would of been written, it has been about a week maybe two since then. Shortly I receive her essay by email. The first paragraph was different. I'm sure it wasn't the one I had seen before. It didn't matter. So I read over it and rather than actually correct the actual essay I just changed the font colour to red and attached another document of my recommended amendments. There seemed to be quite a few bits and I thought it would take the weekend to finish it off. It was then I found out from Sparkling the essay was done in one night. What! To try and attempt 2000 words in one night is not going to work. Not even with the brightest, and certainly not up to a decent standard. When I was studying at degree level I would never attempt a 2000 word essay in one night. It would take a full week. Research and then writing bits off it at a time. Giving enough space so I could round it off the day before it had to be in. Of course at degree level you don't get much of a chance for any kind of extension, it's either in on time or you have just kicked yourself off the course. There were extenuation circumstances, but you'd not be given many of those. Death or likelihood of death might give you an extra week.

I'm glad I did not actual change Rock Chick's essay and just gave her a list of instructions. I gave the reasons why I thought certain changes would make it better. But really just did my best not to change it. Because in essence it has to be Rock Chick's own work. So mostly it was adding new paragraphs where there was just a block of text, punctuation and trying to break down over long sentences.

From Sparkling I heard the results of Rock Chick's sudden crazy impulse, it was one of panic. It seemed Rock Chick was giving Sparkling a bad time. I was actually afraid for Rock Chick because I could see Sparkling coming to a breaking point and committing murder. Yes. One less obstinate teenager in the world. No it's not worth it Sparkling. However, my worst fears were just dark imaginings without any real actions. Thank heavens. Although saying this, Rock Chick might just of been able to of got another extension.

There is an adage I like to tell young studying people, I heard it when I was studying and I've carried it about with me all the time. It is very useful only if applied. It is: "How do you eat an elephant?" The answer is "a little bit at a time," perhaps some day someone will understand this message and actually be a little wiser. I must admit it took me a little while to wise up, but I did and life was a little bit easier. Till next time when Sparkling is about to commit murder, I sure hope she doesn't watch too many episodes of Dexter.

No comments: