Friday, January 23, 2009

Pay day arrives and food gravitates towards me


It's good when payday comes around, an envelope arrives with last month's hard graft and the wonder of how I can make this small amount last. Then there's the bank statements which for some unknown reason also decided to drop on the door mat at the same time. It was like a herd of mail had decided the best safety was in numbers so they all turned up. Though I'm not sure if herd is the right word to use, bundle might be better, but who cares? A bit of personification sets the tone. However, I'll stop at the point of giving the various bits of post names. It would be a little too far even for someone missing a banana or two.

I read an article in one of the national newspapers today on Heston Bluthemental's three episode program Big Chef meets Little Chef, the title is not correct but it's as close as I can recall. The column in question didn't seem to me to be worth the paper it was written on and I thought I could of done better. Quite a bit better. It discussed how Heston asked staff at the Little Chef to cook a fish, unfortunately none of them achieved this and they really had very little idea of what to do with the vegetables. All the cooked fishes ended up not so cooked and quite raw. The vegetables were there just for colour. It's a big shame the British Nation has so gone down hill when it comes to cooking, and this program was a good example of our poor gastronomic abilities. I'll also include myself here, because, I'm sure I'd of had no idea other than frying the thing to cook it. And although I keep saying I really must get a better grip on how to cook I don't. I'm good at the eating part though. Providing there's no beetroot, which is not really a vegetable at all. It's something disgusting posing as a vegetable and should never enter the world of vegetables in any circumstance. Maybe it was shipped over here during the late 18th century as something to please the Victorians. Heston knows his stuff though and probably could do something with a beetroot to even make me consider eating it.

Chrimbo and new year is over. But I can't help but continue to stuff my face with chocolate, fry ups and anything else I shouldn't. All the junk food I keep seeing just has an attraction for me. Either I am pulled to it like a magnet or it just jumps off the shelf into my shopping basket. Sparkling only a few days ago told me I was fat and had to go on a diet or health food kick. Well it's not happening at the moment. I blame it on the cold weather and needing something comforting. I know I'm getting fat as my jeans now grown each time I slip them on and they feel tight. So I just loosen my belt in response. Odd but there is always a solution. I read in my diary a saying which went along the lines of "it takes more brains to find the solutions to the problems we create" which is quite true if you think of global warming. As for overweight fat men, I think fewer bananas is the answer.

No comments: