Monday, January 05, 2009

Snow and and ignited fuse

Had the day off from work today. During the night it had snowed. A white sheet covered London, but as I got up late it had began to melt and when I left the house there were barely any signs it had snowed in the first place. The weather forecaster indicates the next week will be very cold. We're predicted minus three degrees C tonight. I spent the morning indoors trying to tidy up my work room. The one where I spend most of my free breathing life. It's a mess. Books, unopened envelopes, old papers, letters to throw away, letters to keep, folders, dust, and more dust. I filled two carrier bags with old books and dropped them off in a charity shop. There was some old clothes I'd meant to drop in a charity bin some time ago, so I did those as well. The cold outside world made it difficult getting out of bed, it was just so warm. But I'm glad I did do something with it. Amongst the items I was tidying up I found an old letter from Sparkling, one she had dated. It was for March 1999. I spent a moment reading it and was touched by it's heart felt sincerity. It was a reminder of why I love her. Eventually I had breakfast and then washed, listening to the radio.


I find it relaxing listening to the world news or current events programs while getting ready in the morning. At one moment I found myself listening to Women's hour. Which is not just for women to listen to, which would be quite sexist where this the case. But as the program wore on I found myself getting more angry with the portrayal of men by one of the guest speakers. She was a Dame. But she was pretty ignorant and self opinionated, she had a view of the world set in one time and place and was nothing like the way I saw it or had experienced. When talking about recession she said she had seen three recessions and made the outlandish comment in her experience during a recession women go to work, men stay at home, become poor house husbands, drink and beat their wives. Her comments ignited a match inside me, which was fused to a bomb. As the program went on, the views and ignorance of it extended so far the only way I could get away from them was to turn it off. No wonder men turned to violence, because I felt this woman deserved to get throttled, if there were violent alcoholic men in a recession/depression this was the kind of woman who would drive them to violence. It would be a self perpetuating cycle and the only way to get away from it is to remove yourself. You know because there is this odd feeling, if you continue on this road the car will crash. It's like drinking too much, or rather catching yourself and realising you have drunk too much but are able to stop it. It takes some will power.

This evening I had to help Sparkling download a different media player so she could watch Dexter. I was allowed to talk to her as long as the downloading was taking place. When it finished Sparkling told me the conversation was over. Apparently Dexter is more interesting. It's my own fault I've seen the last series and told Sparkling it was very good. So now she's got to watch it. It seems sometimes you find someone else can remove you from a situation you want to continue as well. What a funny world. Maybe Sparkling was getting back at me and the balance of the Universal Karma had just settled nice and neatly.

Oh nearly forgot, to settle things a bit more Karma wise I wrote a email of complaint to the BBC. I'll keep you posted if they can bother to reply.

No comments: