Thursday, January 29, 2009

A plague of fans and a temperamental computer

I am getting emails from some organization/web site I have never used. It's called Fanbox and with a little suspicion I rang up and spoke to Bam Bam my niece of 16 years. I asked if she knew anything about it. From which came strenuous replies of "I don't know" I asked whether she was sure and she said "I don't know" then I told her I had over a dozen emails from people I don't know wanting to be my fan and yet I had never been on this site. This is concerning. Having checked out the web site which has me part registered, there is a pop up box which asks for my mobile phone number so they can send me a code. It means, they basically want to shaft any idiot stupid enough to put their own phone number in, a monetary charge goes to their phone and then it sends a code to register for real. This opens up the users to being charged for other services and receiving phone calls from sales reps called John from third world countries. Fanbox seems a little bit like Friends reunited, except for the shafting you bit. I managed to somehow log into it and press a few buttons to deactivate a half set up account. Bam Bam said she was getting emails from them as well and didn't understand it. Likely story I thought, sounds like someone has managed to hack into msn messenger or something, because I never use this site and never intend to. So beware.

My computer has decided it is returning to having hissing fits and is taking longer to boot up. Error reports keep popping up asking if I want to report the problem to Microsoft. Frankly it's another thing to be fed up with. Even talking nicely doesn't seem to do the trip. When a computer is going to the knackers yard it just has to go. I keep my fingers crossed and hope it can last. Another year would be nice, but at this rate I'll be lucky.

No comments: