Sunday, January 04, 2009

Fashion world now dominated by the cold and hats

The weather is doing it’s up and down thing, where one day it gives up a tantalising taste of the mediocre and the next a cold Artic chill drops the air temperature to freeze due drops off the end of your nose. As shops no longer actually sell proper jumpers, the things they pass off as jumpers are as thin as the shirts I wear, I’m learning to layer. If I carry on like this I’ll soon become the new Mitchellin Man of London. It doesn’t help having the fat hormone suddenly kick in because I just don’t want to bother with the gym and am quite content with putting on pounds and possibly stones. Well, you only live once, a chocolate biscuit is for life not just a cup of tea. So the saying should go were people not thinking of puppy dogs.

The little Oriental man rang me up this chilly morning. His ringing is an event in itself as he keeps breaking his fingers and forgets how to use the phone. But he suggested we hit East London in search of computer components. Or stand on street corners showing our legs. I got better legs than him so am sure I could of got more money, but being oriental you’d be surprise how many clients like a balding and somewhat different from the norm looking pick up. So getting computer bits won out, there just is no way of making extra money in this recession hit climate to tell the truth. I set a time to meet and then fluffed about being late for the train, which in turn meant having to wait another twenty five minutes. No matter. We passed the time chatting nonsense.

But before I decided to meet the oriental fellow I had to make a decision about what hat to wear. It can be difficult because it’s all down to the temperature outside. Today it was cold enough to bring out the big guns. So on went the Russian hat, it looks great and really does help to keep me warm. As we were early we walked up the road to check out a fish stall not far from the train station. Oriental fellow wanted something hot to eat, but there was nothing hot for sale. I noticed the fish stall owner had a hat on similar to my own. Except his was black with the Russian badge on the front, and I have now found out the correct name for this type of hat, it is a ushanka.

It was Sparkling who told me not to go out wearing my ushanka, certainly not in Scotland. One of the reasons she gave was I would get picked on. Someone would think I was odd. It’s an unfortunate attitude people have towards things which are different. But I’ve noticed with some detail how the colder it become the less important fashion becomes to those suffering from the cold. They wear absolutely anything. I have even seen young men who would have their jeans around their ankles showing their boxers actually pull up their jeans to stop their arse from freezing. As for their heads I am nearly certain there have been one or two stolen tea cosies put on top, except for the long tassels and exceedingly bright and varied colours. Yes, the cold weather has a way with making the most fashion conscious shut up and look actually very uncool. But then of course this is what they are trying to achieve, a warm look and a fuzzy feeling.

I shall be seeing Sparkling Eyes and Rock Chick soon, I wonder if they have the same renewed respect for hats as I've now started to appreciate? It could be a tricky situation. If they don't like my hat they will just have to lump it, it is now part of me. I'm going to put super glue on it, they'll never take it off me.

No comments: