Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Stung by a wasp

I got stung the other evening. By a wasp. I don't think it was impressed with me. The thing is wasps have their own mind set, they are obstinate litter critters, and don't like people, especially those who tend too close to their nest. Or as in my case, cut down a bush they happen to use to sit on while not annoying other insects, or admiring the sun go down. The bush had to be trimmed. I needed to put a ladder there. On account of an ongoing summer painting festival. Yes it was the turn of a front fascia board. I could of reasoned with the wasp but I think it was pretty pissed off. It was odd. For I heard this annoying buzzing sound. I'm sure it had landed on my shoulder or was trying to get in my ear. Then the thought of it crawling inside my ear created a little panic. I'll admit it, just a little one. I waved about like a lunatic on amphetamines, hearing but not seeing the bloody thing. Thinking then it had disappeared when it had not. The wind was pretty strong so it must of had a problem maneuvering about. This did not stop it though from seeking vengeance. It landed on my arm. Then stung, it was like a pin prick "ouch" I said. I saw the little red mark pulled it to my lips and sucked hard on it, just in case it was anything like a poisonous snake bite. Like there are poisonous snakes in this part of London. As a precaution I then spat out the sucked out poison or sting or whatever it was. Now I was annoyed, the little shit had stung me, and I'm sure it felt the same way about the bush being cut down, with the wasp equivalent of the big human shit has cut his bush down.

It was then I wondered whether I would go into anaphylactic shock. Whether my body would not cope with the sting and only just find out I was allergic to wasp stings. However, nothing happened. No blowned up tongue, swollen arm or delirious meanderings, my body coped with it quite well. Just a little red rash and only me knowing it was a sting. Later on when speaking to Sparkling she told me it would take about 8 hours to the shock came on. I knew this to be untrue and was quite confident when I woke up in the morning I'd be the same as ever. I was. The same as ever, except for having aged another day and wary of wasps. I also wondered if wasps have honey and what their role is in the animal world, besides stinging ordinary blokes who like to do a bit of painting now and again.

No comments: