Monday, August 15, 2011

East Coast don't delay and pay

This evening I received a second letter from East Coast Mainline train company.  A month ago I had asked for a refund under their delay and pay scheme.  On a return journey from Scotland which had been delayed by one hour and twenty two minutes.  This would mean a part refund on the ticket I purchased.  The first time requested for a refund was made on their a standard Delay and Pay form.  Their reply was as my journey had been delayed by two minutes I was not entitled to a refund.  In response I wrote back to them and clearly stated the journey details, the header number for the train, date, scheduled journey times and then actual journey times.  To sum up the justification of the delayed journey I then gave a description of why the train was late.  Thunder strikes in Welyn Garden City.  This I thought would give my letter an air of authenticity. 

My response letter was very diplomatic, I didn't rage and rant like some complainants might.  I advised they had got it wrong and asked they properly check their records.  So today when I received a second letter which again states I am not entitled to any refund again I am somewhat vexed.  It seems clear personnel at  East Coast customer services either have a problem with maths, the twenty-four hour clock, and very possibly the ability to read.  None of the points raised in my letter were acknowledged or answered.  There was no explanation of how East Coast had calculated I was delayed by two minutes.  Add into this annoyance, this second letter was not signed, there was no contact phone number and only a printed name on the bottom.  The printed name is of someone from a developing country for it is not an indigenous United Kingdom name, although I am pretty sure the letter was not sent from abroad.  No international post marks, just a reply address in Plymouth if it was not received by the addressee. 

The one thing in favour of East Coast mainline is they have given a free post address.  So no matter how many rejection letters they send it will not cost me anything in postage to reply to them again.  This is something I fully intend to do if they reject this letter.  After of course I've researched on who the directors of the company are and who the regulator is, or even ombudsman, then they are all going to be included in a response.  I'll give them waste my time.  The gloves are off East Coast.

No comments: