Friday, August 05, 2011

Painting a gate, looking at mortar, and lots to do

Today I creosoted a garden gate.  It was in desperate need before further decline takes place.  Hopefully it will last another 10 years.  I got in touch with a roofer who was going to ring me back and give an estimate on the pigeon situation.  Alas I got no call back.  It seems those pigeons have got someone looking over them.  Well if they have they had better keep a close eye for there are now 6 different roofer phone numbers written on post-it notes in front of me.  I'll choose another one and have another go.  If they can't be bothered with calling me back I can't be bothered in chasing them up and the obviously don't need the money or my custom.  Lastly I have been checking out pointing again.  It seems the best tool to get is a mortar raker, however this would be bought in conjunction with an angle grinder.  However, I am now stuck on one thing.  It's getting black or very dark grey mortar to match the rest of the mortar.  It seems DIY stores just have bog standard mortar and don't take into account people have different mortar needs.  I don't know if it is a man thing but gathering all this information about how to point and understanding a good consistency of mortar I do actually find quite interesting.  It is good to keep busy doing things.  It's odd I also can't help feeling there is so much to do and so little time to do all the things I want to do.  I suppose, what matters is doing some of them and at least making the attempt, because even with the creosote today, it had to be done, was a small but job even though it took some time and had a practical and useful purpose.  A little bit of success is useful (I said that).

I have barely drunk any alcohol this week.  Amazingly I can't believe how much extra money ended up in my wallet, but has got spent on tools.  It has been weird seeing a wallet with notes in it.  I don't drink a great deal mind a pint is expensive.  Perhaps it was the substitute soda and lime which has helped.  Or the really hot days which make me want to drink first quenching refreshing liquids..  Alternatively I could be going through some kind of phase changing from one habit to another.  Not forgetting we are in a recession and every penny does count.  The next money saving tip is to cancel gym membership.  Even though Ive been a member for years and years.  Like just being a member is enough to be fit and stave off obesity.  When in fact it has to be used.  My gym kit is under a desk somewhere getting dusty.  Economically it makes sense, and anyway, my body isn't so much body beautiful but more of slobba body but trying not to be, but I've learnt, even short fat men can be productive.  Now then angle grinders, yes, 115 mm is equal to 4 and a half inches.  This is one fact amongst many I also learnt.  OK feather in hat what's next?  Should I get a safety hat incase the walls falls on top of me?  Fingers crossed, if not trowels.

No comments: