Sunday, August 14, 2011

Gardening gives the aches

I've spent a good part of the day gardening.  Muscles have been used which didn't know they existed.  They are crying out, screaming in pain and agony.  A hot bath did calm them a little, but still they scream out they are saying "ouch, ouch, ouch."  My body feels so heavy it is like a sack of potatoes.  The phone rang while I was in the middle of it and retired English Teacher was on the line.  The conversation lasted about an hour, maybe more.  My muscles got stiff, they had been given a chance to rest and they then began to scream, "no more, no more, no more," but it has been a sunny day, the job had to be done.  It was hard physical going.  Shovelling dirty from one place to another.  I will get a good night's sleep I'm sure.  Perhaps even comatose.  Good and long. Eyes feel heavy.  For a moment I closed them when sitting down for some telly time.  I dosed off, as I am now so prone to do and consider part of the aging process.  If I were younger things would be different.  Then it would be no problem at all.  My hands are covered in grazes and I have a massive blister on one palm.  It cries out.  "soothe me, soothe me, sooth me."  There are so many messages this aging body is giving I don't know where to start.  At one point when I was so tired I felt like I had pushed myself to the limit and would collapse.  I was going on fumes.  Had lost my breath and my arms were refusing to work.  My body very nearly went on strike. 

A back rub would be nice.  Where's Sparkling when I need her?  Seems like a I'll just have to go to bed early and let these heavy limbs hold me down and fight off dreams of gardening, dirt, shovels and buckets.


No comments: