Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Touched by music - Steph Stephenson

Every once in a while I find listening to music does something emotionally to me.  If I really like the music even if it is the first time I have heard it, I am moved.  I don't know what it is and there's no controlling it.  My eyes can well up, the song may not be sad, I just know there is something special.  So when I logged onto YouTube for no particular reason I had a pleasant surprise.  YouTube's front page recommendations are things I normally skip, at least 99 per cent of the time.  Yet not always.  This was the not always 1 per cent occasion and I'm happy I didn't.  I sat an listened to a short music video by a singer called Steph Stephenson.  It looks like she had made the video herself, she performed it, sang it and I am sure wrote the music as well.  It is unique and wonderful to hear.  The song was The Girl Who Has Everything.  I liked the lyrics, the tempo the guitar music, a touch rough but bloody good going.  I couldn't help myself so and followed an impulse to listen to all her other songs.  The more I listened the more I liked them.  She has talent.  She is not a big star, just someone who has done a bit here and a bit there, but the ingredients are all present.  With all the wanabes out there who just want five minutes of fame, here is a girl who sings because she loves it.  So I'm asking whoever you are who reads this BLOG go and check out Step Stephenson on YouTube, give her a thumbs up and if you like her a lot buy the tracks.  I'd like to say her music should go viral, but it's not for me to dictate, except in my own way with the handful of people who read my BLOGs.  What a voice she has, what more could you want.  Like an advert on TV, It does what it says on the tin.

One song Steph sang was Tracey Chapman's Fast Car.  I sat listening and in just a moment found my eyes welling up.  It could be a hormonal thing kicking in.  Age.  Or maybe some latent emotional genes which are really kicking in and hitting me like a baseball bat.  Bloody lucky I am a bloke and not a Shirley.  Hell I'd be having some kind of emotional life crisis, being a grumpy old man though I can't.  I just can't.  GOMs don't have emotionally charged crazy rampant don't know anything and but love the world and everything in it turmoils.  Bollocks.  This one does.  It is called being human.  Hell, this is happening more frequently in my life than I would like to admit.  Especially when I am in the vicinity of Sparkling Eyes, I just let rip.  Maybe I'm just being moved a lot, maybe sometimes the secrets of life really are not secrets at all.  They are there and open for the entire world to see, to feel, to hear but blinkers get in the way.  Which has got to be it.  I've left my blinkers on the side board, or keep forgetting them.  There can't be any other reason.  It's just the way it is.  Bloody age again.  Just keep me away from the padded cells and men in white.

No comments: