Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Moving building

The Fish Factory is about to move.  From a 1960s building into a 2011 brand spanking new building. I went and visited the new place today.  Lets just say human nature is change, but at the same time it is a resistance to change.  Especially when you have no control over it and someone else has imposed their god like will.  In this case it would be the very big fishes who have such a will, whereas I'm just a lower down the pecking order just-about-middling fishy.  So mine will is to be bended every which way both from above and from below.  I digress as I wonder whether I should of taken the tactic of being arrogant and disliked.  The scare the crap out of them all stance.  Nope.  The thought has gone, because I'm just not like that.  So next week the big move takes place.  It's not like it will take place in a single day either.  It will take two days but has in actuality been longer to prepare, as I've thrown out reams of redundant paper work.  The hoarder in me would normally say this is all important and should be kept.  However, at the new building there will not be space.  In fact there is so little space there is barely enough room on a work station to have a keyboard.  Add into it the factor of a book or two and it becomes cramped.  Very cramped.  It's one of these so called paperless offices.  I find it difficult using the term paperless and find it difficult when someone from above wants to tell me how I should work, when I already know the best way I do work.  For me it's with a lot of paper, on a middle to large desk and being utterly untidy.  Then I just get up from the chair when I am about to leave and don't give a monkey's fart how dishevelled my desk is.  Because the next morning I'll sit down to it and know exactly where I am and where I should start.  But the big fishes never asked the opinions of anyone else, they held the cheque book and thought it would be wonderful to control the working lives of thousands of little fish because it made them feel important.  Hail big fish, hail big fish. 

So you can probably tell there is a little discontent of having to adopt new working practices.  Imposed practices.  I can see it now, it will not take too many days before there have been some complaints put against me because I've left an untidy desk.  Oh I nearly forgot.  All because the Big Fish loves a hot desk.  Hot desk!  I'll give them hot bloody desking, matches and incendiary fluids come to mind.  The reality is, it might be a new building but the working methods prescribed are no more than adopted fashion statements which may have worked in other businesses but those other businesses were a little bit different to the business of Fishy counting, gutting or filleting.  See fashion comes and goes.  It then comes back round again.  Research I once read on clear desk workers stated those workers where the type who preferred to do monotonous tasks.  The same thing repeatedly.  Whereas the untidy desk people were generally categorised as thinkers, their level of working was not related to the mass production of widgets but rather the piecing together of the Titanic, where the rudder was big enough to turn it so it didn't crash into icebergs.  Which is a case where statistics are not always everything.  Especially if you don't know how to interpret them and very, very many people don't.  What I will try and do is find a desk inside a fridge, take a light with me and some air ventilation and stay there.  It will also prevent other people from finding me and be nice and quiet.

It looks nice, it looks new, and on my viewing I just happened to spill water from my disposable cup onto the lovely new carpet.  It didn't notice too much, I kind of shuffled my feet over it so it soaked in.  Fortunately there will be no eating at desks either.  I'd hate to drop a few chunks of curry chicken onto the lovely carpet, especially if someone else saw.   Memo to self: Stay inconspicuous.

No comments: