Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Rioters cause a shortage of mayonnaise

Where I live in London there have been riots.  To tell the truth, not exactly where I live but in the immediate area of the Fish Factory and the area I was born in.  It certainly has been a sad time when looking at the aftermath of what happened.  But it is not a full reflection of society here, just the disaffected youth who are crying out for attention and more importantly their own self esteem, give them a job and I'll bet you'd not see them out on the roads doing the stuff they did.  They certainly are not "sick" as David Cameron would label them.  If we put labels on people then they become stigmatised.  If I were a Christian then forgiveness would be the word of the day.  Followed up by reflection.  How could we have made them feel they do not need to demonstrate and cause criminal acts, where have we gone wrong in society?  Questions politicians no matter how powerful they are do not know the answer to, there are just too many factors to consider.  As Sparkling would say to Mr Cameron "walk a mile in my shoes."  Of course being a millionaire this is something he could never do or understand.  Shame on you Mr Cameron, big shame on you.

 
The riots personally hit me today as I left the pub and decided to go for a portion of chips for my tea.  In normal circumstances I have got into the habit of popping into another pub part of the Wetherspoons chain, inside there I would pilfer a sachet of mayonnaise or two and some ketchup.  I'd head to the chippy, order my chips, dose them with copious salt and vinegar then put the mayo on top and really enjoy them.  There is something ultimately satisfying about having mayonnaise on chips.  It always reminds me of the first time I tasted this combination, which was in Belgium, Brussels if I am not mistaken.  There I went with the retired English teacher and a big group.  English Teacher would organize it and as a group get us a good deal on a break lasting 5 or 6 days.  Traveling usually to two different places, but really enjoying it.  So without doubt chips and mayo have a marker in my memory, not just their great combined taste but also of Brussels.  Not the sprouts, the real place.  So today, I went to the chip shop, where there is not a man who thinks he is Elvis, but there were two blokes who looked Nepalese and ordered my chips.  Salt then vinegar on top.  Then as I walked out I could not put mayonnaise on top of them.  Because the Wetherspoons pub was burnt out.  There is nothing there but a blackened burnt shell.  All because of the rioters. So I can no longer enjoy the taste of mayonnaise with my chips.  I'll not hide it this makes me a little sad, even though it is probably good news for my waistline and the weighing scales.

So in trying to find the good side of something which was not pleasant, the rioters have saved me a few pounds in weight.  But it didn't stop me for buying chips.  Which is my own fault.  Sparkling sent me a text as though to say the world was all doom and gloom and the government would be brought down.  However, I don't think it will.  The sun will raise and set each day.  Birds will tweet, and pigeons will vex me, as will the pigeon man who still persists in feeding the flying rats.  Help needed anyone with an idea of how to sort him out please get back to me.  Read earlier blogs to get a jist of it.  Oh well back to the chips.

No comments: